RE: [xsl] XSLT Doctype and XHTML output

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT Doctype and XHTML output
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:41:30 +0100
> I don't know where to add:
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"; to the
> above.

Use the doctype-system attribute of xsl:output

> Second:
> I am now using the ADODB Stream method to stream the result of the
> transformation correctly and then perform an response.binarywrite.
> However, lets say I'm interested in XHTML results so I add
> the following
> namespace decleration to the stylesheet:
>
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
>
> The encoding I specified in the xsl:output gets lost is this normal?

This means that the stylesheet won't output a meta element specifying the
encoding, but it shouldn't affect the encoding actually used. The reason it
won't output a meta element is that it doesn't find an HTML head element to
contain it - an XHTML head element is a completely different animal.

> Third:
> This is illegal?  (Doctype decleration in top-level node match)
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"/>

Yes, totally illegal. Stylesheets have to be well-formed XML.

Michael Kay