Re: [xsl] Release Date vs. Highlight Until Date

Subject: Re: [xsl] Release Date vs. Highlight Until Date
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:16:05 +0100
> I probably don't want //item.  What I want is all elements named item which
> are descendants of the current element -

well that would be .//item (or descendant::item) but still if you knew
items were always great grandchildren (for example) it (might) be better
to go ./*/*/item

> I don't know xsl:key or how it could help me - do
> you know of a good example/URL?

there are several good xslt tutorials on the web, I believe the faq for
this list will have some examples.

> I have a question about position().  If this xsl:for-each contained an
> xsl:sort, the position() values in the select of the for-each would not be the
> sorted positions, right?

No, position() always refers to teh current node list and in an axis
step as there it refers to teh list being selected. If you use
position() within the element content of the for-each (eg <xsl:value-of
select="position()"/> then it gives you the sorted order as the current
node list at that point is the selected and sorted set of nodes.

David

http://www.star.net.uk