[xsl] Re: Re: SOLVED - [xsl] flat structure to deep structure in a smart way

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: SOLVED - [xsl] flat structure to deep structure in a smart way
From: <jozef.aerts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:34:01 +0200
Dear Jeni, dear all others helping me with this problem.

Yesterday night, already in bed, I suddenly remembered having seen an
article a few days ago about the new features of XSLT 2, describing
something about grouping.
Also this morning, I found Jennies mail with her suggestion for XSLT 2.
So I took my good young Saxon horse from stable, and started working
with that. Thanks to Jeni's mail I could then solve the problem in less
than 15 minutes.
Please find the stylesheet below.

I would dare to say that XSLT 2 is a blessing for mankind, as it makes
many thinks considerably easier.
I will definitely use XSLT 2 for my real project, where I need to
convert a flat structure with 92 items into a deep structure with
something like 8 levels of deepness. Guess doing that with XSLT1 is
something like a nightmare.

Many thanks - this is a great mail list.

The code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
  <xsl:template match="root">
    <xsl:element name="result">
      <xsl:for-each-group select="line" group-by="item[@itemcount = 1]">
        <xsl:element name="A">
          <xsl:attribute name="Value"><xsl:value-of
select="current-grouping-key()"/></xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:for-each-group select="current-group()"
group-by="item[@itemcount = 2]">
            <xsl:element name="B">
              <xsl:attribute name="Value"><xsl:value-of
select="current-grouping-key()"/></xsl:attribute>
              <xsl:for-each-group select="current-group()"
group-by="item[@itemcount = 3]">
                <xsl:element name="C">
                  <xsl:attribute name="Value"><xsl:value-of
select="current-grouping-key()"/></xsl:attribute>
                  <xsl:for-each-group select="current-group()"
group-by="item[@itemcount = 4]">
                    <xsl:element name="D">
                      <xsl:attribute name="Value"><xsl:value-of
select="current-grouping-key()"/></xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:for-each select="item[@itemcount=5]">
                        <xsl:element name="E">
                          <xsl:attribute name="Value"><xsl:value-of
select="."/></xsl:attribute>
                        </xsl:element>
                      </xsl:for-each>
                    </xsl:element>