Re: [xsl] union vs. "or" vs. contains?

Subject: Re: [xsl] union vs. "or" vs. contains?
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:11:13 -0400
Hi Wendell,

On Oct 19, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Wendell Piez wrote:

But this is precisely the advantage of implementing the different processing pathways by using layered modules (a core module plus a separate stylesheet "shell" for each processing pathway), rather than using testing-against-parameters.

Is this your original suggestion, whereby the user must choose the stylesheet to invoke?

Whatever I do, I want to keep processing completely controlled by the configuration file.

It's not that it can't be done this way; it's just much more cumbersome and hard to maintain. (Giving XSLT the reputation of being "hard".)

I don't find my current approach at all difficult to make sense of or maintain, actually; at least not on this count (I get much more confused with all of the modes, namespaces, and parameters being thrown around!). I just have separate files/directories for each class.

If the citation-class is implemented as simply a call to a special 'author-year' stylesheet (or whatever), all the templates particular to that kind of processing can be in that stylesheet, with no variable testing anywhere at all.

How are you precisely envisioning this? In my ideal world, I'd be able to choose which files to include based on the parameter, but I guess that's not possible.

Bruce