[xsl] xsl:call-imports?

Subject: [xsl] xsl:call-imports?
From: "Mario Caprino" <mariocaprino@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:17:34 +0200
Hi,

I'm structuring my XSLT stylesheets and find myself missing an <xsl:call-imports> element. I feel I need such an element for the exact same reason that <xsl:apply-imports> is so usefull.

My specific case for wanting such an element is;
My main stylesheet includes all my default templates. For the language specific versions of the stylesheet I would like to send the language specific text as parameters to the default template.

Heres an example;

__default.xsl__:

<!-- main template -->
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:call-templates name="facts" />

<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>

<!-- default implementation of "facts" --> <xsl:template name="facts"> <xsl:param name="h" /> <html:div class="shadow"> <html:div class="facts"> <html:h2><xsl:value-of select="$h" /></html:h2> <html:p>...</html:p> </html:div> </html:div> </xsl:template>

As you see the default template contains alot of tags I would like to avoid copying around for each language version, and minimal language specific text to insert. I would now like to write in my langugae specific stylesheet the following code;

__en-UK.xsl__:

<xsl:import href="default.xsl" />

<xsl:template name="facts">
<xsl:call-imports name="facts">
</xsl:with-param name="h" select="'Did you know...'" />
</xsl:call-imports>

But without any <xsl:call-imports> I need to find alternatives to accomplish this;

1) Use template match and apply-imports instead. In my case this will not work as I am creating the surrounding elements to the page content, thus it doesn't fit with a particular tag in the source document.

2) Using global variables and overide those. This gets quite messy once the stylesheet gets bigger.

3) Give different names to the language specific and the default template. In my case it does not make sense to call the default template except through the language specific template, thus it might be the best suggestion.

I still feel a <xsl:call-imports> element would be the _best_ solution, and do not see why it is not included is XSLT. Is it because I am trying to use XSLT in a inappropriate fashion?
Am I overlooking any other alternative for solving my problem? What would you do to solve the above mentioned problem?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Mario Caprino