Re: [xsl] xslt2 general steps.

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt2 general steps.
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:44:58 +0100
In other words, you can do things like:
keyword/lower-case(.)
but you can't do:
keyword/lower-case(.)/substring-before(., '-')

Jeni, you say general steps must return nodes except for the last step?
This latter 'last step' returns an atomic value as I see it (a string).

What is wrong with it?

She means that lower-case(.) returns a string, not a node-set. It is not possible to continue the path with / if the previous steps didn't result in a node-set.

So this can be done:

keyword/key('nodes-by-keyword', .)/substring-before(., '-')

..as key() returns a node-set.

But this cannot be done:

keyword/lower-case(.)/substring-before(., '-')

..as lower-case() returns a string.

(Unless you can make lower-case return Text Nodes instead of Strings, I guess..)

Grtz