Re: [xsl] Looking for a shorter mapping expression

Subject: Re: [xsl] Looking for a shorter mapping expression
From: Dimtre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 22:07:40 +1100
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:50:14 -0700, M. David Peterson
<m.david.x2x2x@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dimitre,
>
> took me a sec to realize you were refering to page 208 in his XPath
> book...  I reread the XSLT 2.0 page 208 several times before I
> realized "xpath expression = xpath book" :)  I'm with you now...

:o)

I find that there's one book on XPath2 now -- the book.

> Are you refering to the fact an error is returned if E2 does not
> return a sequence of nodes?  I guess that doesnt really make a lot of
> sense given the above... but does this same rule apply when "/" is
> used an an operand instead of a path expression?

No, E2 is allowed to return a sequence of atomic values (not nodes) if
it is the last step in the path expression.

I am referring to the fact that in this case the result is allowed to
be either a sequence of nodes or (exclusive or) a sequence of atomic
values, but not a mixture of the two.

I'm asking again: why?

Cheers,
Dimitre.