Re: [xsl] Newbie - howto write to an XML file with XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Newbie - howto write to an XML file with XSL
From: Andy Ford <andy.ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:24:59 +0000
Thanks

I did wonder whether that would be the method! I take it you build the
html file with xslt that will include a form and a post method to
rebuild the file!!

Thanks

Andy

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 09:30 +0000, Marian Olteanu wrote:

> > I am trying to read in an xml file, display it as a web page, where
> > user can insert data into avaiable text fields for the xsl script to
> > write back out (append) to the xml tree i.e. use the xml document as
> > database to store data in.
> >
> > Is this a valid use for xsl, and how do I do it.
> > Useful URLs would be great!
>
> No, it isn't.
> It is a valid use for the first part: "read in an xml file, display it
> as a web page, where a user
> can insert data into avaiable text fields"
> Then, you need a server-side script to collect the data from the user
> and alter the XML file
> (eventually using another XSLT file, that takes as parameters what
> needs to be changed in a file).
> But even so, a XSLT file will not alter the original file: so you will
> do on the server something
> like this: file.xml ---(alter.xsl)--> newFile.xml ; copy newFile.xml
> into file.xml
>
> =====
> Marian
> http://www.utdallas.edu/~mgo031000/

> http://my.yahoo.com

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended
recipient only.  If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm
that it has been deleted from your system and any copies destroyed.  If you
are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from using,
printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this e-mail or any
information contained in it.  We use reasonable endeavours to virus scan all
e-mails leaving the Company but no warranty is given that this e-mail and any
attachments are virus free.  You should undertake your own virus checking.
The right to monitor e-mail communications through our network is reserved by
us.