Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff
From: Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:50:10 +0200
Sarissa[1] may be what you are looking for and is available under GPL/LGPL. The CVS version[2] has some new stuff that you might be interested in that should make it easier to

* apply the same stylesheet multiple times on XML documents using an XSLTProcessor (since the previous version)
* inject the transformation result in the document using

Sarissa.updateContentFromURI(sourceURL, targetElement, xsltProcessor)

Feedback, especially on the CVS version very welcome.

[1] http://sarissa.sf.net/
[2] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/sarissa/sarissa/

hth,

Manos

xptm@xxxxxxx wrote:

I'm still playing around, but with limited succcess. I tryed to work with both
innerText but it seems it won't work with FF. Now, with the iframes it kinda
work, but it still needs a lot of work.

If you want to see a *very early* example look at
http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/java/menus.xml with the xsl in
http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/java/drawmenus.xsl but it's so ugly
i'm kind of embaressed...

*OFF TOPIC* on other lists it was brought to my attention that it's not polyte
to sign posts with just a alias like "xptm", so just wanted to say that my name
is Antsnio Mota, and i live near Lisbon, Portugal. I work with a lot of things
including Java and XSL, wich i like very much.

One of the projects where i got much help from this list is in
http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/java/GTJDemo.html , it's a pre-demo
version, i hope i can put there a description of the XSLT work envolved.

Best regards.

Quoting xptm@xxxxxxx:

Wow, that looks great :)

In the meantime i've been playing with the XmlHttpRequest and it really works
on
IE and FF, at least. So it seems it's not dificult to get the XML files
without
a all trip to the server.

Now for XSLTing the XML i think i'll wait for your example...

Thanks a lot.

Citando "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>:

xptm@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi David, and all.

OT i just went to XSLT:Blog and where it should appear (i added the

spaces)

I ' m
appears
I b $ (TM) m

Both IE and Firefox(and Im assuming other Mozilla based browsers) that
are set to auto detect encoding decide that utf-8 is actually
iso-8859-1.  Given that they both do it my assumption is that there is
some obscure line in the HTML causing this to happen as I find it
strange that both algorithms would read the byte stream in the same way
and determine iso-8859-1 instead of the proper utf-8.  The charset is
clearly defined as utf-8

So I really dont know whats up...  I cant be the only MT install that has
this problem so as soon as I have a chance I will look further into it.

In the mean time manually change your browser to recognize the page as

UTF-8

and youll be fine, all be it temporary.

Now on-topic, i've been searching for info in places like w3schools, and

it

gives me the impression that XML data islands and related techniques are

very

tyied to IE browser, like HTML elements binding, XML HTTP requests, etc...

Also

i saw that XML data islands has nothing to do with W3C...

Is this correct?

No... It does take some trickery but its possible and really quite easy
once you understand the process that needs to take place.

My boss suddenly give a high priority to this going-to-be project, so let

me

elaborate a little more for you to see if this falls in your techniques.

Do you think you techniques can be adaptable to this, or should i start

looking

elsewere?

Regards.

Basically, my intention is to have a menu tree that, when cliked on a

node,

would do a trip to the server to get some XML that could be a sub-menu
definition to display dinamically, or a XML ResultSet from a db to display

via

XSL/CSS/CSS2, or even a HTML page to display on a frame (altougt i don't

like

frames). I want to do this dinamically, specially without refreshing the
browser, as this has a tendency to become very heavy.

In fact this a perfect example of how this could be used...  In fact
that would be a simple demo to quickly create... instead of stressing
over this larger piece let me feed it to you in bit size morsels as it
will probably be easier to understand initially and from there is just
adding one more source of data at a time and using that data to
coordinate proper context between the elements between rendered...

Give me a bit to rethink how best to showcase this and I will return
with a sample...

Cheers!

<M:D/>