Re: [xsl] URL encoding of UTF-8 data in MSXML

Subject: Re: [xsl] URL encoding of UTF-8 data in MSXML
From: Marian Olteanu <mou_softwin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 01:33:52 -0800 (PST)
JavaScript "escape" function does the job of URL-encoding.
To be able to define your function, use

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
    xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
    xmlns:user="urn:your-urn">

  <msxsl:script language="JavaScript" implements-prefix="user">
     <![CDATA[
      function URLEncode( s )
      {
         return escape( s );
      }
      ]]>
   </msxsl:script>
        <xsl:value-of select="user:URLEncode( expression )"/>

See also:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconXSLTStylesheetScriptingUsingMsxslscript.asp?frame=true

(doc. about C#, but it works also for any scripting language supported by Microsoft)

--- Bjorn Boxstart <Boxstart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> From within an XSL-T stylesheet I need to create HTML hyperlinks in the output HTML files. The
> data has UTF-8 encoding and so does the resulting HTML file. The data that is used for the links
> contains special characters and must therefore be URL encoded. I found a way to do this by use
> of named templates. The thing is however that this method (mentioned somewhere in the archive of
> this list) doesn't handle characters outside latin-1 correctly (e.g. russian texts). Because I
> use MSXML (must) I can't use the Java class and method URLEncoder.encode().
>
> Can anybody tell me how to encode URL's from within a XSL-T stylesheet (run on a msxml
> processor). I know that a solution might be mentioned somewhere in the archive of this list, but
> that link doesn't seem to be working anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance for your reaction!
>
> Bjvrn

=====
Marian