[xsl] Re: Some results (was: Re: [xsl] Recursive grouping - simple, XSLT 1.0, fast non-Muenchian grouping method)

Subject: [xsl] Re: Some results (was: Re: [xsl] Recursive grouping - simple, XSLT 1.0, fast non-Muenchian grouping method)
From: Dimtre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:42:06 +1100
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:09:22 +1100, Dimtre Novatchev
<dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The results in milliseconds, using Saxon 6.5.3 on a 3GHz 2GB RAM PC
> are as follows:
>
>  Muenchian code:    1265
>
>  Sergio recursive:  38188

More data -- this time testing the originally-provided one-level grouping:

   Muenchian code:   9796

   Sergiu recursive: 16016

However, the original code produces also the count of each group. This
is not a requirement for grouping and is not part of the Muenchian
method at all.

With counting removed, the results are:

   Muenchian code:     953

   Sergiu recursive: 15922

> I will be glad to provide the source xml document used in the test to
> any interested person (and why not put them somewhere on the web?).

Thanks to M.David Peterson, who offered to host the test data on
www.XSLTBLOG.com

I'm sending the data to him in a moment.

The data I'm using is artificial but not at all unusual. It contains
183 different authors. In real cases data extracted from a database
will contain thousands of different objects (persons, authors,
employees etc.)

Cheers,
Dimitre.