RE: [xsl] when to use xslt

Subject: RE: [xsl] when to use xslt
From: "Hardy Merrill" <HMerrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:39:55 -0500
Isn't that what EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) is for ?   ;-)

This is a little OT from Dagoberto's post, but I can't help myself.

<rant>
I used to work for an insurance company that used EDI extensively to
transform incoming company data into standard formats for our data, and
visa-versa.  Although EDI is standards based, every single
transformation map we wrote was unique.  I failed to see the need for
EDI software in general - very expensive, and what does it get you when
you can do basically the same thing trading XML documents between
companies (encrypted :) and transform them with XSLT as needed.
</rant>

Dagoberto, I don't see anything wrong with your approach, assuming you
are taking proper measures (encryption?) to ensure that the XML
documents can't be read by anyone other than the two companies involved.
 In terms of XML/XSLT, the technologies used to store the data are
irrelevant - all you care about is your supplier gives you XML document
in Model A - you need to write an XSLT transformation to transform that
data into your Model B - what you do with it once it's in Model B
doesn't really matter (to us ;-)

Hardy Merrill

>>> dagof@xxxxxxxxxxxx 01/13/05 08:40PM >>>
Hello Henning, I think that xslt is very useful when you (your company)
want
to develop an aplication to communicate your Data Model with another or
more
Data Models (companies) that have one different.

More specific, my supplier have a model A and I have the model B, and
so
that my applications can work appropriately (one option) I receive its
xml
document, I transform it in a xml document that my application can
accept.

CompanyDatabase (Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer2005, etc.) -- xmlDoc --
xmlDoc +
myXsltDoc = myXmlDoc -- myDatabase (Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer2005,
etc.)

Obviously don't forget to implement text encrypting methods.

Is this concept correct?

Dagoberto Flores