Re: [xsl] Match first non-empty from different fragments

Subject: Re: [xsl] Match first non-empty from different fragments
From: Karl Stubsjoen <kstubs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:12:14 -0700
Well,
There are man z:row elements node with attribute value pairs.  So like this:

<z:row name_of_meet="Funtastic" date_of_meet="10/10/2005"/>

Currently, I would ask the question (assuming above is current node).
(in plain english)
If name_of_meet is empty, then find the parent record name_of_event.

The parent record is contained within the XML source but spawns off
another fragment.  Here, let me do up an example:

 <results>
   <result name="event"><!-- this is the parent -->
     <xml>
        <rs:data>
             <z:row name_of_event="The Great Funtastic"
date_of_meet="10/10/2005"/>
        <rs:data>
     </xml>
   </result>
   <result name="meet"><!-- this is the child -->
        <rs:data><z:row name_of_event="" date_of_meet="10/10/2005"/>
</rs:data>
   </result>
 </results>

There is another <result / > set of data, it is called "scores".
This data is the meat of the page.  There are many scores, with a
single header of data from either the "meet" result set or the "event"
result set where no data is provided in the child "meet" result set.

In my template I pretty much have 2 main apply-template rules.
apply-templates:  for meet header information
apply-templates:  for all of the scores.

It is the first of these 2 that I need to come up with a way at
getting at the details using an apply-templates over xsl:choose type
syntax.

I'll leave it at that for now!
Let me know if I need to provide more information.

Karl