RE: [xsl] Removing line-feeds on a imported tree via document

Subject: RE: [xsl] Removing line-feeds on a imported tree via document
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:22:49 -0000
The xsl:copy-of instruction is only useful where you want to do an exact
copy. The standard way to do a transformation where the output is nearly the
same as the input is to start with the identity template rule:

<xsl:template match="*">
  <xsl:copy>
  <xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

and then override it for elements that need to be modified:

<xsl:template match="MenuData">
  <xsl:copy>
  <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(.)"/>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/