RE: [xsl] using xsl:value-of but omitting some children - possible?

Subject: RE: [xsl] using xsl:value-of but omitting some children - possible?
From: "Andrew Welch" <ajwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:24:06 -0000
> Hello!
>
> I have problems with the following fragment:
>
> <somewheredeep>
>    <chaptertitle>
>       our title
>       <part>
>             has some parts
>       </part>
>       <ugly>
>             some ugly things here
>       </ugly>
>    </chaptertitle>
> </somewheredeep>
>
> I have the folloowing structure of templates
>
> <xsl:temaplate match="somewheredeep">
>     <xsl:variable name="chaptitle">
>        <xsl:call-template name="getchaptitle"/>
>     </xsl:variable>
>     <!-- I use $chaptitle several times here --> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template name="getchaptitle">
>    <xsl:value-of select="chaptertitle">
> </xsl:template>

Change the above named template to use apply-templates instead of
value-of:

<xsl:template name="getchaptitle">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="chaptertitle"/>
</xsl:template>

And then add a 'no-op' template for <ugly>:

<xsl:template match="ugly"/>

This will ensure if there is any text after your <ugly> element it gets
processed as well.  If you already have template for <ugly> that does
something else, you will want to use a mode on the no-op template.

cheers
andrew