RE: [xsl] Changing stylesheets though links

Subject: RE: [xsl] Changing stylesheets though links
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:55:37 -0000
I'm not sure what you mean by "links" - you mean the user clicking on
something?

Personally my preferred method of doing this is to have a fixed stylesheet,
but with dynamically-evaluated XPath expressions representing the sort keys
- you can pass these expressions into the stylesheet as parameters, or store
them in a source document acting as a configuration file; it's very
flexible. It means using an extension such as saxon:evaluate or EXSLT's
dyn:evaluate, but in my view it's a much cleaner design than modifying the
stylesheet as a whole - that approach strikes me as a maintenance nightmare
unless you design it very carefully.

The details do depend rather on whether you want to do it client side or
server side.

There's a detailed example of how to do it (client side, modifying the
stylesheet each time) in the MSXML3 appendix of the 2nd edition of my XSLT
Programmer's Reference - it didn't get carried through to the 3rd edition
which is all about XSLT 2.0.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/