Re: [xsl] Optimization Question

Subject: Re: [xsl] Optimization Question
From: Kevin Jones <kjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:41:21 +0000
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 09:31, Michael Kay wrote:
> Whether you generate bytecode or not, many of the
> operations that take time - XML parsing and tree
> building, copying, sorting, serializing, are likely to be
> done by routines in the run-time library; they aren't
> affected by compilation at all.

I did an estimate of this effect a fair while ago via the
addition of some extra timing code to a processor. If I
recall correctly my conclusion was there was on average
typically only about 10% of the processing time that could
be significantly influenced by choice of runtime, be that
interpreter, virtual machine or native code.

Kev.