Re: [xsl] Choosing specific XML node with XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Choosing specific XML node with XSL
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:58:46 -0600
My first instinct is to write a template for just about everything, but it
occurred to me that you may need a different approach. So, here are two
other ways:

  <xsl:template match="parent">
    <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:value-of select="//parent/text()"/>
  </xsl:template>

The second is closest to your original, I think. (By the way, try to avoid
that // path if you can - it can be very inefficient.)

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Hiral Parikh" <hparikh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/09/2005 04:21 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[xsl] Choosing specific XML node with XSL

Hi,
I am dealing with some dynamically generated XML and ran into some XSL
parsing issues.

The XML is something like this:

<parent>this is parent text
                 <child1><child2>this is child text</child2></child1>
</parent>

I want the text of <parent> only, but
<xsl:value-of select = "//parent/"/>  returns 'this is parent text this is
child text'.

How can I get only the text of <parent> tag and not the <child1><child2>
tag.

Thanks in advance,
Hiral