[xsl] Copying and inserting nodes on a tree

Subject: [xsl] Copying and inserting nodes on a tree
From: António Mota <amsmota@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:09:46 +0000
Hi again:

My current project is to design a data-entry web-based combination of
grid/form with data comming from a table. I'm doing it with XML/XSL,
JavaScript, and the DOM.

So far so good, it's looking great. However i have a problem with
updated and new inserted values on the grid and form, that is the
finality of the app anyway.

Since i'm aplying a XSL several times to display a form, i thought of
storing the changed values in the original XML by means og XSL. This
is working, i pass as parameters a key that uniquely identify the node
i want to update and the repective value.

However i don't know how to handle the new nodes insertion. I'm thinking

1) Copy a similar node and change some of it's values. This mean to
process a node of the original tree twice, to get a insertion on the
output tree.

2) Create a entire node by passing parameters to the xsl.

3) Creating a DOM node and to pass it as a parameter, or using
document() (!!) and inserting it in the ouput three(??)

But i have some troubles:

First, i don't really know how to do any of these (more or less) and

Second, isn't this a misuse of XSLT? I don't know why but i don't
"feel" good about this.

Anyone have had similar situations?

Thanks again.