RE: [xsl] Pick up generated numbering for cross reference using key?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Pick up generated numbering for cross reference using key?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:21:44 -0000
Keys apply to any document, including a temporary document created in a
variable. You don't need to indicate in the xsl:key declaration which
document they are intended to be used with, they automatically apply to the
document that contains the context node at the time you call the key()
function.

What you are essentially suggesting here is doing a two-phase transformation
in which the section numbers are generated during the first phase, and the
cross-references are filled in during the second phase. That's a perfectly
reasonable design approach, but you haven't convinced me that it's
necessary. If the number of a table can be computed by examining where the
table is in the source document, then you can use the approach of
recalculating the number each time you process a cross-reference.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/