Re: [xsl] Catch ALL | Failed template rule

Subject: Re: [xsl] Catch ALL | Failed template rule
From: Karl Stubsjoen <kstubs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:49:59 -0700
Consider the following:

Transform XML into XML.  The resulting XML will be a series of pass
and fails where specific template rules have a match.  So you might be
asking questions like, does my element have an attribute "a" who's
value is "b"?  Or actually, you'd ask the question:  if my element has
an attribute "a" who's value is "b" then append the attribute "pass" =
"1" to the resulting XML, otherwise, append the attribute "pass" =
"0".

Example XML:
<foo>
  <bar a="c"/>
  <bar a="b"/><!-- passes -->
  <bar a="a"/>
  <bar a="b"/><!-- passes -->
</abc>

You would then:
<xsl:apply-template select="foo/bar[@a='b']" mode="matchedresults"/>

And match on:
<xsl:template match="bar" mode="matchedresults">
  <!-- append element "pass" = "1"-->
</xsl:template>

At this point, there is no way to have an "unmatched" template result,
and this does make sense to me.  I guess I was looking for the
cleanest way to exercise this.  I guess it would be this:
<xsl:apply-template select="not(foo/bar[@a='b'])" mode="unmatchedresults"/>