Re: [xsl] Spelling Othello (Was: Re: [xsl] Text processing on XSLT 2.0)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Spelling Othello (Was: Re: [xsl] Text processing on XSLT 2.0)
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:31:01 +1000
On Apr 5, 2005 7:10 AM, M. David Peterson <m.david.x2x2x@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I think that about covers it... FXSL it is then :)
>
> Please see http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/2005/04/my_reaction_a_r.html
> for a slightly extended reaction...
>
> Thank you Dimitre!!!  As always the capabilites of FXSL have proven to
> be flat out amazing.

Actually, the *great praise* here goes to Saxon 8.3 and Mike Kay.

On this transform Saxon 8.3 is about 20 times faster than Saxon 8.2,
with which I get:

Saxon 8.2 from Saxonica
Java version 1.5.0_01
Stylesheet compilation time: 969 milliseconds
Processing file:/C:\xml\Parsers\Saxon\Ver.8.3\samples\data\othello.xml
Building tree for
file:/C:\xml\Parsers\Saxon\Ver.8.3\samples\data\othello.xml using
class net.sf.saxon.tinytree.TinyBuilder
Tree built in 156 milliseconds
Tree size: 18539 nodes, 154557 characters, 0 attributes
Building tree for file:/C:/CVS-DDN/fxsl-xslt2/f/func-getWords.xsl
using class net.sf.saxon.tinytree.TinyBuilder
Tree built in 0 milliseconds
Tree size: 43 nodes, 143 characters, 22 attributes
Building tree for file:/C:/CVS-DDN/fxsl-xslt2/data/dictEnglish.xml
using class net.sf.saxon.tinytree.TinyBuilder
Tree built in 187 milliseconds
Tree size: 139140 nodes, 528397 characters, 0 attributes
Execution time: 135921 milliseconds

So,

        Saxon 8.3        7 sec.

        Saxon 8.2    136 sec.

I strongly hope that this great achievement is not revereted in future
versions of Saxon.

There are some other extremely nice features of Saxon, which I've been using.

For example, can someone guess what would be the time if I didn't look
up in the dictionary just the distinct words, but all words as they
come in the text?

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.