[xsl] Stumbling with xxx:node-set (where xxx is MS of MSXML4)

Subject: [xsl] Stumbling with xxx:node-set (where xxx is MS of MSXML4)
From: Karl Stubsjoen <kstubs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:40:17 -0700

First let me say that I have been enjoying much needed success with
xxx:node-set, and it has become an integral part of the overall
architecture and success of the project.  Why this has become such an
integral part is that I am performing subgroupings and aggregations on
the original XML source.  These subgroups are not based on simple
group arrangments like, "give me all the Smiths" from the xml source
but more something like, "give me multiple groups of all students
who's DOB is contained within these date ranges".  So, I might end up
with 3 seperate groups of students which I then might ask, "for each
set of students, return a count of students based on the month they
are born".

At any rate, I have been forced to create and return XML fragments and
then using the xxx:node-set perform aggregate functions against these

So what is the problem?  Well, I think I found a bug in the MSXML4
parser.  Upon multiple itterations of the ....

Never mind, I just fixed it : )   Woohooo!!!!
So the fix was this:  I was building up my XML pieces, keeping them in
variable and then node-set'ng them and aggregating.  Involved are 2
variables, one variable is the raw XML fragment, the 2nd variable is
the raw xml wrapped in a new element and some attributes (for purposes
of being in tune with an existing xml data and re-using an existing
key - by the way, on the topic of keys and their context, I get it now
and love it!).  I was missing a xxx:node-set when I wrapped my XML
inside the 2nd variable.  Later, I issue apply-templates against this
2nd variable and use the xxx:node-set here.  I was getting unusal
results, some cases would pass and others fail.  Turns out they would
pass when the xml contained a single child element under the root.

Enough blabber... thanks for listening!


Current Thread