Re: [xsl] MSXSL in Java (server pages)

Subject: Re: [xsl] MSXSL in Java (server pages)
From: Woody <woody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:00:54 +0100
Hi,

Thanks so much for that. As it turns out, both are right. I have one set of data that I had written half of it where I took the msxml working draft code, made it v1.0 xsl but left the javascript it which I can now use with rhino (which I hadn't heard of) and the default (xalan) processor.
I also have an older set of stylesheets that are all working draft xsl, which only works with msxsl 2.6, which i need to force through msxsl to process. I can't really use the filesystem (multiple queries), but I am sure there is some way of piping it in and out.

Thanks
Woody

When I first read this I thought that you might want to run a transform
in Java with a stylesheet with embedded Javascript.  Mozilla has
something called Rhino that helps with this but there is a lot of
playing around with versions of Xalan, Xerces, Rhino, etc., to get it to
work.  That would require that the stylesheets were otherwise XSLT 1.0
compliant.  I don't remember which version of MSXML represented the
change over to this spec but earlier versions used a somewhat different
language that won't work in a modern transformer.

If all you want to do is run MSXML from a JSP you can exec it and it
should run in another process.  You will have to be running your server
on a Windows platform of course and will also have to communicate via
the filesystem unless you can wrap the MSXML in something that will talk
to standard in/out.  Either way you will have to serialize the XML and
deserialize the result.

Barry