Re: [xsl] Is XSLT a suitable solution for generating a diff between versions of

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is XSLT a suitable solution for generating a diff between versions of
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 14:32:56 +0200
Hi there,

Some nice XML comparing stylesheets can be found at http://xsltunit.org/, though this package does use EXSLT extensions, so you XSL processor must support them.

Cheers,
Geert

Aron Bock wrote:

Charles, about a monthand-something ago a participant posted a simplistic algorithm that compared XML files. Under repeated fire from those who know better that XML differencing couldn't be done, shouldn't be done, should be written in Aramaic, should be done only when standing on 1 leg, et cetera, the algorithm was repeatedly revised, each time claiming a smaller applicable domain.

As they say, if the bumble bee knew anything about aerodynamics, it would never fly. Luckily for us it seems some other people, unaware of how XML diffs shouldn't be done, went ahead and created something that works. And another ng participant posted the link shortly after the mele above! I can't locate that post at the moment, but I believe it was: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/xmldiffgui.asp

Regards,

--A