Re: [xsl] xsl:stylesheet vs xsl:transform

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:stylesheet vs xsl:transform
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:55:49 +0100
   > The XSLT spec says (both 1.0 and 2.0) that
   > xsl:stylesheet and xsl:transform are 100% identical.
   > Everything that applies to xsl:stylesheet is exactly
   > identical to that applies to xsl:transform .. What is
   > the reason for keeping two syntaxes for the same
   > purpose? Is there some technical reason for this, or
   > there is some other reason?

   I don't know the details of how this decision was originally made, but you
   can be reasonably sure that when a committee decides to allow two different
   ways of saying the same thing, it's because they spent a long time arguing
   about it and it was getting late in the day and no-one wanted to give way
   and there were other more important things on the agenda.

   Clearly the difference reflects a difference of view about the primary
   purpose of XSLT, whether it is primarily a transformation language or
   primarily a stylesheet language.

   Michael Kay
   http://www.saxonica.com/

Of course with xslt2 being a superset of the functionality of xquery
perhaps you should add a third equivalent top level element

<xsl:query version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>

<xsl:template....

that would help clarify things don't you think??

David

http://www.star.net.uk