RE: [xsl] For-each loop or recursion

Subject: RE: [xsl] For-each loop or recursion
From: "Aron Bock" <aronbock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 03:22:37 +0000
Oleg, first off, kudos on the thought you're bringing to bear on what you say is a new subject.

I have the following data (leaves in parallel branches):
mystruct/myarray1[i]/myvar/var2 and
mystruct/myarray2[i]/myvar/var3

I need to implement the find the first occurence of :
<xsl:if test="position() != last() and
  number(var2) = number(var2[position()+1]) and
  number(var3) = number(var3[position()+1])">
      <value-of select="position()">
</xsl:if>

You're approaching this procedurally, it seems, whereas you'd be better served using XSL's natural declarative model. Like with SQL, for example. Thus, rather than trying to pick through and find a specific node or value in imperative fashion, try to "describe" to the processor what you're looking for.

For example, with this XML input:

<mystruct>
   <myarray>
       <myvar>22</myvar>
       <myvar>2</myvar>
       <myvar>3</myvar>
       <myvar>5</myvar>
       <myvar>77</myvar>
       <myvar>78</myvar>
       <myvar>1</myvar>
   </myarray>
</mystruct>

This XSL will find the fist <myvar> node whose value is 1 less than it's immediately succeeding <myvar> sibling:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xsl:output indent="yes" method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<node>
<xsl:copy-of select="mystruct/myarray/myvar[. = following-sibling::myvar[1] - 1][1]"/>
</node>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Yields:

<node>
 <myvar>2</myvar>
</node>

You should be able to do something similar for your problem.

Regards,

--A

A few questions to XSLT gurus: 1) Does it make sense to do in the for-each loop or it will require a recursion ? All I need is to get the position of the 1st occurrence. How would that recursion look like?

2) Will I be able to get a node from the parallel branch in for-each loop ?
Something like:
<xsl:for-each mystruct/myarray1[i]/myvar>
  <xsl:if test=" ...and number(../../myarray2[i]/myvar/var3) =
number((../../myarray2[i]/myvar/var3)[position()+1]) and...">
    <value-of select="position()">
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>)
I know it looks awful  :-(

3) Is there a way to somehow start the for-each loop
from position other than 1 ?
Like with j>1:
<xsl:for-each mystruct/myarray1[i]/myvar[j]>
</xsl:for-each>

I am using XSLT 1.x