Re: [xsl] Junit-type Framework for XSLT 2 Functions and Templates?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Junit-type Framework for XSLT 2 Functions and Templates?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:42:34 +1000
On 5/18/05, David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I am accustomed to the lazy evaluation style of Haskell, where passing
>  parameters of infinite length is something natural,
>
>  like:
>
>       take 5 [1,2 ..]
>
>  takes the first 5 elements of the infinite list of natural numbers.
>
> yes so in this case I was sugesting starting with [1,2 ..]  then first
> applying mapping a function from the natural numbers to strings that
> writes the number as a unicode string by writing it using a using
> unicode characters to represent the "digits"  digits 0 to hex 10FFFF.
>
> that gives you the (lazily constructed) sequence of all unicode strings.
>
> Then filter that sequence using a function from string to boolean
> that is true if the string is a valid xml file.
>
> this could all be written in haskell.
>
> Of course the algorithm is totally impractical although it could be made
> more practical by having a more sensible sequence of initial strings.
>
> even the impractical algorithm has some use though, it proves that the
> sequence that you ask for does indeed exist.

I have never had a doubt of its existence -- it is obvious.

But let's be a little bit more practical -- even today one can convert
a DTD to a Haskell type, then use an existing Haskell test-generation
and automation tool, such as QuickCheck, then finally convert the
generated instances back to XML and use them for testing a given xslt
transformation.

  For reference:

     http://www.cafeconleche.org/#news2005May17

Cheers,