Re: [xsl] Automatic html generation of xml file "advice needed"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Automatic html generation of xml file "advice needed"
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:30:00 -0500
> The tricky part is establishing a
> standard format i could apply. For example, should i display the xml file
as
> one large table, or should i display each element name with <u> tags and
> display its text below it??

Why not in a random pattern distributed all around the page.
Seriously though, without knowing your end goal of what you want this
summary to do it doesn't help much.

If you just want general information I would say trying to create a
tree would be your best bet since XML documents are trees, not tables.
 Of course, if there is some sort of summary information you're trying
to generate, a table might be fine.

Can provide me with a little help for this problem?
Since I'm not sure what the problem is I can't help much.  If you want
a list of styled element names just have something like
<xsl:template match="*"><ul><xsl:value-of
select="name()"/></ul><xsl:apply-templates /></xsl:template>

what do you reckon
> is my best way to tackle this??

I'd just use what's already been developed.

http://skew.org/xml/stylesheets/treeview/ascii/

Unless you want to do this as a learning exercise, in which case I'd
recommend just trying what you've already posted and seeing if you
like it.

Jon