[xsl] RE: DOM or SAX input faster/more efficient?

Subject: [xsl] RE: DOM or SAX input faster/more efficient?
From: "Andrzej Jan Taramina" <andrzej@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:37:47 -0400
Michael:

> If the input comes from source XML, let the XSLT processor build the tree
> (i.e., supply a SAX or Stream source) rather than doing the job yourself. The
> XSLT processor will usually be able to build a far more efficient internal
> tree structure. Only supply a DOM source if your application is constructing
> the source tree programmatically (and even then, use SAX if you can).

Any rough idea on how much more efficient it might be to supply SAX events
rather than a DOM tree as input to XSLT?  Is it 10%...50%, an order or
magnitude?

Just trying to get a feel for what the performance difference might be.

Currently, we're passing in a JDOM document.  It's pretty easy to build that
since it's used in the presentation layer of a large system, using STXX
(Struts interface for XSLT), where the beans/data returned by the
business/services tier are serialized into the JDOM document.  Doesn't look
like there is much overhead in producing the JDOM document from the beans, so
the real difference, if any, will be in how efficient XSLT is with JDOM
versus SAX inputs.

Thanks!

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com