Re: [xsl] xsl:number and conditional

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:number and conditional
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:09:11 -0400
Bruce,

Er, yes that *is* frustrating.

I can only making up the nicest sweetest demonstration package you can of the problem, so Mike and any aspiring XSLT 2.0 programmers can consider it in a single post. (But note, as I'm sure you are aware, that asking/expecting a single one of us to help is bad list etiquette!) Part of the difficulty is that these 2.0 features are still pretty much untried and untested outside the lab; nor can we exclude the possibility of a bug in the software.

I doubt that there are many readers of the list still following the problem ... as the thread stretches back into time it gets harder and harder to follow. If you could encapsulate the usual trio of minimal source instance, expected result and stylesheet-in-progress, we could look at it afresh. In this case it'd be especially good if your stylesheet were a complete working instance cut down to just this problem, but with the entire range of templates and functions you need represented (i.e. take care represent the flow of control you want, not changing anything that changes a function or template's evaluation context, for example). In your case, I'm afraid that means also representing your ancillary source document(s), so there will be more than three pieces.

As for things that were working but work no longer -- this is inevitably because (a) you changed something, or (b) someone else did (by a software upgrade for example). We can't smoke this out unless we know what changed between then and now ... which is tough to guess (even for Jeni). Here too, bringing it back to square one is probably a good idea (as it is so often).

Cheers,
Wendell

At 04:03 PM 5/31/2005, you wrote:
On 5/31/05, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Did you try Michael's latest suggestion of
>
> count="db:footnote|db:citation[not(ancestor::db:footnote)]"
>
> ?

Yes, but I got an undefined context error from Saxon, which has me a
little confused (why do I get away with not defining the $footcite
context for db:footnote, but not with the other part of the
expression?), and frustrated!*

> The expression above should provide for consecutive numbering of all
> footnotes with all citations not themselves in footnotes, which is what you
> want, isn't it?

Yes.

Bruce

* frustration exacerbated by the fact that the first/subsequent key
solution we finally worked out here last week is no longer working
correctly!