[xsl] xsl fo:tables - Rows and Columns across Pages

Subject: [xsl] xsl fo:tables - Rows and Columns across Pages
From: Ross Lawley <ross.lawley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:14:17 +0100
Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding how best to display my fo:table.

I have a large xml table which I would like to setup wrapping both on
rows and columns.

Formatted like so:
<dataTable>
 <tableHead>
   <tableRow>
   <tableCell>Header_0</tableCell>
   <tableCell>Header_x</tableCell>
   </tableRow>
 </tableHead>
 <tableBody>
   <tableRow>
   <tableCell>data_0</tableCell>
   <tableCell>data_x</tableCell>
 </tableBody>
</dataTable>

I can easily setup wrapping of the rows and have a repeated header by
using table-header and table-body tags.  However, I don't seem to be
able to wrap the columns so that they also go onto a new page if they
overflow the page body edge (also I would like to have a header column
- i.e. COL 1 that would be repeated on the overflowed page).

Firstly, is this possible without creating an excessively complex xls:fo ??

My current solution is to split the xml table and create two
dataTables - then output one after the other.  This works fine but I
have two problems, with it:

1) I would like to use a single XML dataTable block - then I can
transform the one XML source via XSLT to other formats - so that the
XSLT is soley responsible for the presentation of the XML.
2) I would also like to follow excel style numbering of pages - i.e.
   Have Page 1 contain : Rows 1-10 Cols 1-10
   Have Page 2 contain : Rows 1-10 Cols 10 - 20.
 However, currently table1 is overflowing so Page 2 contains the
overflown rows of the first table.

Any ideas how best to tackle this problem ?