Re: [xsl] When is xsl:text relevant?

Subject: Re: [xsl] When is xsl:text relevant?
From: James Fuller <jim.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:32:21 +0200
Sylvain Hellegouarch wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As I'm not a guru of XSLT, I am surely missing a point but why would I should
>use xsl:text?

The <xsl:text> element is defined whenever you need to write 'literal'
text to the output.

>Look at the following example :
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#result-element-stylesheet
>
>Would it make more sense to use :
>
>Instead of :
>
>I've red the doc but I'm still not confident on when to use xsl:text.

for me the biggest thing of using xsl:text is whenever you want to
engage d-o-e (disable-output-encoding).

I am certain that there are certain assumptions with whitespace when
wrapped in xsl:text, which is probably the 'reason' why we have such an
element in the first place.

hth, Jim Fuller