Re: [xsl] A linguistic question: a/an fo:block

Subject: Re: [xsl] A linguistic question: a/an fo:block
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:25:42 -0500
Hi, Peter,

Amongst my other sins, I used to teach English at a university, so I can
tell you the rules that governs this issue. If the first sound of the
pronounced form of the word is a consonant, use "a". If the first sound of
the pronounced form of the word is a vowel, use "an". Thus, you should
type "a unique widget" and "an utter disaster". In the case of all the FO
elements, I've heard people pronounce it as two separate syllables (often
the case with acronyms) and as one word (like the English word "foe"). In
the first case, you'd type "an FO element". In the second case, you'd type
"a FO element". (I bet that's the source of the inconsistency in the
spec.)

Personally, I am accustomed to sounding out acronyms, because so many of
them cannot be pronounced as words. Consider XML, XSLT, HTML, and so on.
So, my answer to your question would be "an fo:block".

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Peter Gerstbach <peter.gerstbach@xxxxxxx>
06/24/2005 02:55 AM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[xsl] A linguistic question: a/an fo:block

Hello,

should I write "a fo:block" or "an fo:block"?
I am not a native speaker, so this is not clear for me. I think it
depends on whether I spell "fo" or read it as a word.

Interestingly, the W3C specification is inconsistent with this.

Thanks,
Peter