RE: [xsl] Instantiating anyAtomicType -- why would I?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Instantiating anyAtomicType -- why would I?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 00:18:35 +0100
xdt:anyAtomicType is in fact an abstract type, and this cast should perhaps
fail. It's succeeding in Saxon because Saxon treats "A cast as B" as a no-op
if A is already an instance of B.

This is slightly questionable: if you do "(3 cast as xs:decimal) instance of
xs:integer", Saxon will give you the answer true(). I personally think that
it's justified, because whenever the spec says that an expression returns a
result of type R, the system is allowed to return a value that belongs to a
subtype of R. So, for example, a system that returns true() for "3 instance
of xs:short" would (in my opinion) be conformant. The spec says that 3 is an
integer, and every xs:short is an integer, so if you return an xs:short then
you've satisfied the spec. I admit to some unease over this interpretation,
because the results aren't interoperable. But when you apply the reasoning
to functions, it's perfectly clear that a user-defined function whose
declared result type is xs:decimal is permitted to return an xs:integer;
therefore I would think the same rule applies to system-defined functions;
and if it applies to system-defined functions, I don't see why it shouldn't
apply to other expressions including casts.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/