Re: [xsl] Saxon8 beginner questions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Saxon8 beginner questions
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:28:23 +0100
> - it seems the output encoding="UTF-8" is not producing
>   a <meta charset=UTF-8" /> as it should, but I'm unable
>   to figure out why (despite I have seen it a few days ago)!
>   I can see also uuml; instead of | in the output, which
>   might be connected to the above.

only the xhtml and html output types add an automatic meta element, (you
probably want xhtml) Also check that you really do have utf8 (Your u
umlaut is in latin 1 in the message as I see it, but mail gateways
change encodings at will so I can't easily check the encoing in your
file.

> - the function current-date seems to return a null string.

>    <xsl:value-of select="current-date" /><br />
that is the string value of an element  called current-date, if you want
the function you need
   <xsl:value-of select="current-date()" /><br />

> - empty xhtml tags are transformed into invalid sequences
>   like <br></br>

they are valid xhtml (although if you use the xhtml output method) the
system will probably use <br/> although any conformant xhtml system will
treat these the same.

> - I specified CLASSPATH C:\Programme\Saxon\saxon8.jar
>   (nothing else) as a system environment variable (winnt sp6)
>   to no effect: when I omit the CLASSPATH the cmd above
>   still works,
? saxon.jar could be on your default class path.

> and when I try java -jar saxon8.jar ... I get the msg
>   "Unable to access jarfile saxon8.jar" and Exit code: 1

That should work if saxon8.jar is in the current directory.

> - I would like to get a hint how to specify a minimum CLASSPATH
>   for this configuration: JDK 1.5 plus Saxon 8B.

If you are using java -jar the classpath isn't used, otherwise you just
need to have saxon8.jar.

> I like Saxon very much especially for being able to take a look on the output.
> Is there any way to see what Firefox or IE6 produce?

MS have a download addon that adds a "view xslt output" right menu
option to IE.
http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+explorer+xml+tools+xslt+view
 howver error reporting in a browser is always rather
suspect and developing with saxon gives much better error messages.
Also, you are using xslt2 which is not implemented in the browsers at
the current time.

David

http://www.star.net.uk