Re: [xsl] How to get to the XML Declaration

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to get to the XML Declaration
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:00:22 -0400
Kenneth Stephen wrote:

    Why was this decision made? I see from the XSLT 2.0 requirements
document, that one of the requirements was to give XSLT the ability to
figure out what the input encoding was. There is even a use case
mentioned in the requirements document :
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20req (see item 1.4) which talks about why
this would be useful.

Speaking for myself (I have no idea what the WG's thinking was) that requirement was a COULD, not a MUST or even a SHOULD. I tend to think it's not that important to know the encoding. Most importantly providing that functionality would mean that an XSLT 2 processor couldn't be implemented on top of a standard XML parser which does not provide that information.

--
o;?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx