RE: [xsl] Transform XML to XML

Subject: RE: [xsl] Transform XML to XML
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:47:21 -0300
At 2005-08-26 10:27 -0400, Wendell Piez wrote:
At 07:36 PM 8/25/2005, you wrote:
        -- XSLT : Programmer's Reference by Michael Kay
        -- XSLT and XPath On The Edge by Jeni Tennison
        -- XSLT Cookbook by Sal Mangano
        -- XPath and XPointer by John E. Simpson
        -- XSL-FO by Dave Pawson
        -- Definitive XSL-FO by G. Ken Holman
        -- XSL Formatting Objects Developer's Handbook by Doug Lovell

Ah. As it happens, none of these are "beginner" books.

-- XSLT : Programmer's Reference by Michael Kay

An excellent reference, but many don't take the trouble to read the text outside of the context of particular problem-solving. This is excellent stuff, but in the context of the whole (which is for experts as well as beginners) the processing model stuff might get lost. Nevertheless you should certainly take the time to see what it says about the default processing model, plus also the chapter on different kinds of stylesheets is excellent.

-- XSLT and XPath On The Edge by Jeni Tennison

Not a beginner's book; here Jeni mostly assumes you know the processing model (or perhaps you can learn it from a beginner's book such as Jeni's excellent "Beginning XSLT").

Mike, I would offer my "Definitive XSLT and XPath" book for the list above. I've tried to explain the processing model for readers.

Before buying a copy of either paper book, however, you can download excerpts of the electronic editions of these titles from the "Books & free excerpts" hyperlink from our home page noted below. This will give you the complete text of the first couple of chapters, and the complete text of the introduction to each of the other chapters, and the complete text of the annexes at no charge. You may find it already answers some of your questions, and the annexes are (I think) very useful.

If you choose to purchase the electronic edition of any title, you will receive no-charge access to all future editions of that title. Individual, site-wide and world-wide licenses are available. US Government employees in every department already have no-charge access to both titles because of a world-wide license purchase.

I hope this helps.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc