RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Apply-templates - how to omit top level element tags?
From: "Mike Schinkel" <mikes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:10:30 -0400
Michael:

Thanks for your comments.  As always, I'm honored.

>> XSLT 1.0 is designed with a rather different notion of robustness...

I *can* see where that is useful at times. But lately I've become more
and more appreciative of systems where I can guarantee correctness from
testing on a module level as opposed to a systems level.  I've run into
too many problems with XSLT, for example using to created broadcast
emails, where a change modified the expected HTML output in an
undetected way and our emails all went out wrong.

>> XSLT 2.0, especially if you opt for schema-awareness, has swung a
long way towards this more conventional definition of robustness...

That sounds much better.  BTW, I have read several books on XSD schemas
and am still struggling with the nuances of writing schemas. What are
some good tools that can take an XML file and infer an XSD schema to
create a starting point?

Also, unfortunately, the tool I'm currently using only supports MSXML
4.0 SP2 last updated 6/2/2003, and everything else we do here is .NET on
Windows, so I don't know if I can used XSLT 2.0 anytime soon w/o
completely changing my environment (which would currently be too time
consuming and painful), can I?

-Mike
P.S. Hopefully XSLT 2.0's robustness features are self-contained, i.e.
that it doesn't require Perl or Java or other to get the value of the
schema validation?