Re: [xsl] First character in a word as capital-letter.

Subject: Re: [xsl] First character in a word as capital-letter.
From: andrew welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:30:22 +0100
> >> character in a word as capital-letter?
> >>
> >> text-transform: capitalize
> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#caps-prop
> >
> > Beware that it uses the American Headline Style Of Putting Every Word In
> > Capitals, which may not be what you want.
>
> the 'first-letter' pseudo selector might come in handy

CSS is extremely powerful - I've only just refreshed my knowledge of
it in the last few weeks.  A few short rules are:

- never use inline styles, always put all styling information in a
separate CSS file
- never use tables for layout, only ever use them for tabular data

Those might sound obvious, but for any XSLT'er producing HTML it's
well worth seeing what people are doing with CSS now, for example:

http://www.csszengarden.com/  (same source HTML, different CSS's)

I started restructuring my HTML output and transferred a lot of the
work that was done in the stylesheet into CSS.  The result is a much
smaller, faster transform.  The HTML is drastically smaller in size,
and much neater and more readable.  And, not least, many of the
changes are then made to the CSS instead of the XSLT which means
re-transforming isn't necessary.

My eyes have been opened recently, I'm really impressed with what
people have been doing.