Re: [xsl] balanced columns?

Subject: Re: [xsl] balanced columns?
From: Dan Vint <dvint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:40:28 -0700
At 05:11 PM 9/16/2005, G. Ken Holman wrote:
At 2005-09-16 08:24 -0700, Dan Vint wrote:
Whew! glad to hear this wasn't an RTFM ;-) Seems like this should have just been another attribute for the page-layout information.

Perhaps, though why replicate something that is already available otherwise?

Well I wonder if the original authors knew this solution or it was something overlooked. Certainly balanced columns is a generally known requirement, so rather than making this something you have to cobble together and discover in the standard, I would have expected a note to say, "Oh by the way, to balance columns, we decided to just use the empty fo:block that spans all columns"

Instead, when I go looking for information on balancing columns, there is nothing in the spec about this functionality. I'm glad you had the work around, but it was not an obvious thing to go do. It makes sense after you pointed it out.

I also knew there was a reason why I stayed with one column documents.

:{)}

Ken are you doing a full FO class at XML 2005? I think I took an XSLT class from you at one of these past events.

I well remember you in the class, Dan, and no I'm not teaching at XML 2005. I am contemplating a publicly-subscribed delivery of each of the XSLT (3-day) and XSL-FO (2-day) in March 2006, but the week isn't scheduled yet and I have to ensure there is enough interested people to make it worthwhile.

I'll know more by late October and if you or anyone else is interested in the March course(s) somewhere in the north east (Boston area maybe?) then let me know so I know I've got enough momentum to set it up.

The big problem is I have XML 2005 approved and can take any of the classes there without fighting for it. My FO work amounts to about 4 weeks a year, so it is hard to justify the additional time out for the training, especially if it is a separate trip/class. Anyway, I'll keep track of your offerings and see if something works out. For me a West coast deal would be better (SF to be exact).

..dan

Good luck, Dan!

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703