RE: [xsl] Using saxon:assign and testing content of variable

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using saxon:assign and testing content of variable
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:24:43 +0100
You really ought to try and avoid using saxon:assign. There must be a better
way.

If saxon:assign has any content, then the resulting value will be a result
tree fragment (or temporary tree): that is, the variable will contain a
document node which may or may not have children. You probably want to test
whether it has children using test="$pageNumber/child::node()".

Setting a variable to an "empty" result tree fragment (a document node with
no children) is surprisingly difficult! It can be done using something like:

<xsl:variable name="var">
  <xsl:text/>
</xsl:variable>

basically, any xsl:variable instruction that has content, but whose content
is a no-op. You could also use

<xsl:variable name="var">
  <xsl:fallback/>
</xsl:variable>