[xsl] Speed difference attributes vs elements

Subject: [xsl] Speed difference attributes vs elements
From: Cas Tuyn <Cas.Tuyn@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:14:28 +0200
Hi,

I'm designing a new schema and have googled extensively for reasons to use elements or attributes to store info. The general opinion is that removing attributes leaves the content intact. So <book title="..."> is wrong and <book language="..."> is OK.

With that rule in mind I designed a diagnostic schema that contains configuration information like which models and software releases experience a problem, as follows:

<problem
   models="long list"
   software_releases="long list"

instead of

<problem>
   <models>
      <model>...</model>    (many times)
   </models>
   <software_releases>
      <rel>...</rel>    (many times)
   </software_releases>
</problem>

Now my model list can be up to 50 words of 10 characters each, and my software release list can be up to 20 3-digit releases like 3.2.1.

Q1: Is there a performance penalty for either design?
Q2: Does the answer depend on the XSLT processor?

At the moment we are batch-transforming XML to HTML using Sablotron, but in the future we want to serve XML to the browser (Firefox and IE6 currently).

Regards,

Cas

-- The information contained in this communication and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. ASML is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.