Re: [xsl] What do you call a stylesheet that doesn't require an input XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What do you call a stylesheet that doesn't require an input XML?
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:53:44 -0500
How about these?

Lazy (won't do nothin' unless someone gives me some XML)
Ambitious (gonna go get my own XML!)
Snobby (too good to associate with other files)

:D

Or you could go with

External (XML source is defined outside the stylesheet)
Internal (XML source is defined inside the stylesheet)
Stand-alone (doesn't need an XML source)

I'm a little uncomfortable with Internal versus External, since I have
written my stylesheets that use the collection feature to get XML source
documents such that they take a path parameter. So there's still some
information coming from outside the stylesheet. Also, the terms are
generic enough to be confusing.

There's also

Uncollected
Collected
Stand-alone

Just some ideas.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/27/2005 09:02 AM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [xsl] What do you call a stylesheet that doesn't require an input XML?

    Andrew> traditional kind of transform as you can easily divide
    Andrew> stylesheets into the 2 types of processing models - those
    Andrew> with the XML supplied, and those where the stylesheet
    Andrew> fetches the XML itself without an initial XML.

There's a third kind - those that do not reference an XML document at
all.
There's quite a few of these in the test suite for FXSL.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire