Re: [xsl] Stripping out non-*ML tags?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Stripping out non-*ML tags?
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:48:08 -0600
(Reposted to remove the accursed SPAM tag - my apologies to Tommie and the
list.)

> Strictly for readability, I need to strip or at least minimize
> the amount of that stuff that gets past my XSL.  I would be
> perfectly happy to replace, in regex terms, \[[^\]]\] with "".
> That is, just delete all of the tags, so that "[b]text[/b]"
> becomes "text"

If you can use XSLT 2.0, you can actually use regular expressions. That's
one of 2.0's very welcome features. If you can switch to 2.0 or are
already using it, look at xsl:analyze-string.

If you are stuck with XSLT 1.0, regular expressions are out. At that
point, I'd make a list of all the markers (both beginning and ending, so
[b] and [/b] are separate items in the list) and write a template to
replace each term with "". I'd put the list of terms in a separate file
and get it with the document function (and maybe a parameter to specify
the list document if you need to handle more than one set of markers).

I've done something similar (finding each instance of a set of 800+
acronyms and turning them into links in a 2,000-page document), but I had
the luxury of using 2.0 and xsl:analyze-string.

HTH

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services