RE: [xsl] FXSL and 'saxon:function()'

Subject: RE: [xsl] FXSL and 'saxon:function()'
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:57:09 -0000
Dimitre's implementation of higher-order functions has the advantage of
being done in pure XSLT, without requiring any extensions. I provided
saxon:function() primarily for XQuery, because (a) it's not possible to use
Dimitre's technique in XQuery as it lacks apply-templates, and (b) by
providing higher-order functions, many of the more advanced capabilities of
XSLT 2.0 such as for-each-group and analyze-string can be offered to XQuery
users with requiring custom syntax.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/