Re: [xsl] passing parameters between pages

Subject: Re: [xsl] passing parameters between pages
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:50:17 -0600
On 11/29/05, Oleg Konovalov <olegkon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I am not asking about Cocoon, but how to pass parameters
> between 2 XSL pages.
>
> BTW, I already asked that in Cocoon newsgroup,
> but nobody replied (I think, because 2.0.4 is too old
> and most people use other techniques)
>
> I desperately need an answer, and it is about XSL.

I think you're misunderstanding a fundemental conception about XSLT
stylesheet.  Each stylesheet is independent of each other unless they
import each other.  The reason Michael said your system has nothing to
do with XSL is because ask far as it is described, it doesn't.
(Whether or not it belongs on this list is ultimately up tot he mod I
guess).  Stylesheets take in XML (and with 2.0, other stuff) and
produce a transformed page.   You're asking how to pass values, but
the way your passing values is dependent on another system, not XSLT
itself.

Your description of manipulating arrays doesn't sound like any
stylesheet I've ever seen.  You wouldn't have an "xslt" screen, but
you would have the result of a transformation on a source.  Describing
it as interacting with the XSL page is like describing someone
interacting with ps2pdf as if it was the result of the transformation
and not the app transforming something.

You could have an XSLT system that has nothing to do with the browser.
 In fact, many people do.  Now, it sounds like you're using cocoon, so
you're not using client side transformation.

Think of it this way: Imagine a collection of conversion tools like
pdf2ps, pdf2txt, etc without any knowledge of what goes on behind
them.  You decide to put all your documents into a web server and
write a program that takes in a request for a file name and return
that file in the format based off the extension requested.  It calls
up the appropriate command-line program.

Now you go to the developers of those command-line programs and ask
them to help you pass arguments into your cgi-script.  Not
surprisingly, no one can help you.

This is essentially the situation, and the recommendation to check
another list was helpful advice since you're not likely to get a
response on such a system-specific question.  Who knows though, maybe
you'll get lucky.

If you're really trying to ask how to pass a parameter into a xslt
stylesheet, that's again implementation-specific (ie in the stylesheet
you'll have <xsl:param>, but since an xslt processor can be found as
an api, embedded into a application, or a command-line tool it's hard
to tell you how to specify the runtime parameter).

Jon Gorman