Re: [xsl] Windows 2003 Server + MSXML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Windows 2003 Server + MSXML
From: "Hardy Merrill" <HMerrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:47:43 -0500
We've been doing XSL transformations for probably the past year and
a half on that same MS configuration and I've never seen that error before.
Hopefully someone else will have more info.

Hardy Merrill
New York State Division of Housing

>>> HunterN@xxxxxxx 1/13/2006 12:40 PM >>>
MSXML3, MSXML4 SP2, Windows 2003 Server, IIS 6.0

Hi,

I'm running script on an active server page running on Windows 2003 to
perform an XSL transformation. This works fine for nearly all my
documents but for just a few it fails with:

"The XSL processor stack has overflowed - probable cause is infinite
template recursion"

Now, if instead I use the MSXSL.exe command line utility on the same
server to transform the same documents with the same XSL it works fine,
whether I specify MSXML3 or MSXML4. If I run the same transformation
from script/ASP from any other machine it also works fine.

I am under the impression that the MSXSL.exe command line is just a
wrapper for the MSXSL Dlls so I don't understand why its working when
the asp page doesn't.

Is this some sort of Windows 2003 bug?

I'm getting pretty fed up with the MSXML parsers. Every time I change
versions or move servers I seem to get some subtle change in behaviour
that can take forever to resolve.

Regards,

Neil Hunter

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the
addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material.
It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent
of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately.
Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily
based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for
accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and
shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges
that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or
death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that
its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.