[xsl] Calculate average value recursively

Subject: [xsl] Calculate average value recursively
From: Weiran Zhang <weiran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:56:04 +0000
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the average for a set of rainfall values in the
following node-set:

<month number="1">
	<day number="1">
		<rainfall>1.5</rainfall>
	</day>
	<day number="2">
		<rainfall>0.5</rainfall>
	</day>
	<day number="3">
		<rainfall>TR</rainfall>
	</day>
</month>

Usually, I'd use "sum(month/day/rainfall) div count(month/day)" to get
the average rainfall, however, as null values are represented as "TR",
that expression returns a NaN error.

I'm thinking that I would need a recursive method that can catch cases
such as TR, appends either the rainfall value or 0 to a sequence, which
it would send back recursively as a parameter until reaching the end and
then dividing by the number of days? However, I'm not sure about how to
do this, nor am I sure if it's the right solution!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Weiran.

--
Weiran Zhang

E-mail: weiran@xxxxxxxxxxx
Website: www.ejecutive.co.uk

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]