Re: [xsl] Unable to get text() of node

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unable to get text() of node
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:29:47 +0100
No, that doesn't work. Microsoft's XSLT processor can't preserve the
whitespace because the Microsoft XML parser has already removed it before
the XSLT processor got a chance to say it was needed.

It is obvious that something that isn't there cannot be preserved, but I don't observe the behaviour from the MSXSL parser that you and David are describing. If I run the following with Xalan or MSXSL I get the same result even when I replace strip-space by preserve-space:

--xsl--
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="utf-8" indent="no"/>

<xsl:strip-space elements="*" />

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <foo>
      <xsl:copy-of select="foo/text()" />